InstaGram

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

2011 Leadville Trail 100 Mountain Bike Race - Take 3

My 2011 $15.00 donation slip - If only it were tax-deductible.
After last year's rejection (100% 2 for 2 rejection status now) to the Leadville Trail 100 Mountain Bike Race I vowed to forget this race placing it on the list of things I have no interest in doing.  After all, it isn't a *real* 100-mile mountain bike race right?  The race consists of 95% dirt road with terrain that might hit a 2 on the 1-10 technical scale.  Sure it is all at high elevation with some sustained climbs but many agree it is a mountain bike race geared towards roadies (not that there is anything wrong with roadies.  I'm a roadie too... chill).  Contrast the LT100 with the singletrack terrain found in the Breckenridge 100 or the Park City Point 2 Point and you might agree that the LT100 is a mediocre course over-hyped by big names and fancy promotional videos.

Can I get an amen?

Seriously now... My real thoughts on the event:  First off, I have no place to criticize or even comment on how tough the race is having never participated.  Having watched the last Race Across The Sky movie it is apparent the LT100 isn't an exclusive race for the elete.  While there is a general focus on the big names in the front of the pack, hundreds of first-timers and novice riders spanning the age spectrum fill the bulk of the race each with a story to tell.  Even with the public criticisms of the course, inflated registration fees, unfair lottery, non-transfer policies, etc, one can't escape the fact that the LT100 IS an iconic race.  It takes place in the Colorado high country which alone should make it iconic. And like all iconic races, it will continue to motivate and draw flocks of ordinary people to fork over the $$, train, toe the line, conquer, and add their name to the list of finishers.

Which is what I plan to do in 2011... under 9 hours... I hope.

Now I just need to win a stage in the 2011 Tour de France to guarantee my entrance into Leadville.


No comments: