InstaGram

Monday, May 21, 2012

iCUP

They'll give anyone a ribbon these days.
It didn't take long last Saturday for me to remember why I don't race XC much.  My max HR is around 165, I'm rarely the first guy up the hill, or the fastest out of the gate, it takes me a long time to warm up.

I'm a diesel.

The last time I raced a true XC race was in Winter Park, Colorado in 2010.  I did a number of CU Boulder STXC races last year and had a blast.  Those did hurt but the hurt was short lived at 20-30 min max.  Fortunately for me, I enjoy racing long distances and it is no surprise that I tend to do better in the 50-100 mile range.  With that said, there is nothing more fun than bleeding out your eyes for an hour on twisty singletrack with a hundred other people on a sunny Saturday morning.  Thanks to the Intermountain Cup Racing Series for putting on a great event (my first).  I will be back for more sooner than later.

So what does it look like when you put a diesel in a rally car race?




3 comments:

Daniel Zvirzdin said...

165? That's an amazingly low max. Any idea why it's so low?

Jeff Higham said...

Not sure why it is so low (somewhere in the 165-170 range) I'm usually at least 20+bpm lower than others.

Here is an STXC from last year. I was going all out the whole time in Z4 and Z5 (Suffer Score). My Ave HR is 155bpm which is also the LTHR I get during my tests.

Some related reading:
http://www.joefrielsblog.com/2011/06/max-heart-rate-and-fitness.html
http://www.trainingbible.com/joesblog/2009/11/quick-guide-to-setting-zones.html

Jeff Higham said...

Forgot the link to the STXC.

http://app.strava.com/activities/891016