InstaGram

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Surviving Indoors

2011 Team Clothing
I've been riding indoors for the better part of 2 weeks. It has been warm enough to ride on a few days recently but my work and family schedule hasn't allowed for it.  It's been so long since I've actually ridden outside (and even longer on dirt) that I am starting to forget what it feels like.  I guess in a way the longer my exclusive indoor training binge lasts the less I realize what I am missing out on - except for stuff like  this, this, and this serving a reminder of my pathetic situation.  Sure riding a trainer sucks but it is part of what it takes, for me anyway, to have fitness when the weather turns and it's time to mix it up on the dirt. I am in base period now which means a lot of long rides at moderate and consistent intensity, perfect for a trainer if you can muster the willpower, but still boring as heck.  I did get my hands on my new rags for 2011 today so that should lift the spirits a little, and add a few days to the time when I need to wash clothes again.

A few things that help get me through 2+ hours on the trainer early in the morning.

1. Deadmau5 (Strobe).  I start every session with this song.  It lasts 10 min and builds over time which translates to the perfect song for me to warm up to.  I doubt I'll ever get tired of it.





2. CarboRocket 333.  This stuff just does it for me at 4am.  I'm ready to go after 1 24oz bottle.


3. Some POV camera footage of past season races and training rides.  These really help take my mind off of the monotony.  Some good sources are easy to find on the web.  I like to watch some of the following:  Jeff Kerkove's vides on Vimeo, World Cup reruns on Freecaster.tv , and Alex Grant's videos on Cycling Dirt just to name a few.

4. Beats.  I usually find some good techno mixes via Pandora. There are some good podcasts as well with fresh beats to consume.  Check out Dada Life, DJ Dan Morrell (Formerly DJ Smurf), DJ Scene, Remix Production Mashups.  The bottom line for me is to keep the music new and interesting.  Follow Jeff Kerkove on Twitter if you are too lazy to find new training music.  He has a talent for digging it up.

5.  A Movie.  If all else fails, throw in a good action movie (not a boring drama).

6. Video games.  Although I haven't tried this myself, others will play a Wii or something else while riding.  I'm not sure if this is for me but it may work for you.

It helps with my motivation at least to get everything set up the night before: bike, computer, clothes, water bottles.  This preparation gives me fewer excuses to fight through when the alarm goes off and I am grasping for reasons to stay in bed.

Happy suffering.

No comments: